What is acne?
A common chronic, inflammatory skin condition that causes spots and pimples on the face, shoulders, back, neck, chest, and upper arms. Although, the skin condition is most common among teenagers, it affects people of different age groups.
What are the different types of acne?
1.Cysts – Visible on the surface area of the skin. Painful & filled with pus. They can cause facial scars too.
2.Blackheads – Clearly visible on the surface of the skin.
3.Whiteheads – Remain under the skin and are small in appearance.
4.Nodules – Large, painful solid pimples embedded deep in the skin and clearly visible on the surface of the skin.
5.Papules – Small usually pink bumps visible on the surface of the skin.
6.Pustules - Red at the base and filled with pus on top clearly visible on the surface of the skin.
What you must know about Acne
- Acne is a skin condition that involves the oil glands at the base of the hair follicles.
- Affects 3 in every 4 people aged between 11 and 30 years.
- Not harmful but leaves acne scars.
- Treatment depends on the severity of the condition.
Acne is usually triggered because of the rise in androgen levels during adolescence. Spiking levels of androgen cause the oil glands under the skin to grow. The enlarged glands produce more sebum. And, excessive sebum promotes breaking down of cellular walls in the pores, causing bacteria to grow. Other causes that trigger acne include medications that contain androgen and lithium, greasy cosmetics, stress and menstruation.
For acne and acne scar treatment, You must consult a skin specialist or a dermatologist in case of moderate to severe acne. If an acne cyst becomes severely inflamed, it may rupture and lead to scarring.
1. Medication - Only a specialist can treat an inflamed cyst by injecting a diluted corticosteroid. This can prevent the skin from scarring, help reduce inflammation and speed up recovery. Oral antibiotics may be prescribed by the doctor for up to 3-6 months for patients with moderate to severe acne. Oral retinoid is used to treat severe cystic acne and severe acne that have not responded to other medications and treatments.
2.Carbon peel treatment - A revolutionary treatment based on the ability of carbon to extract oil and contaminants from deep within the pores. Highly beneficial for people with oily skin, blackheads, enlarged pores, dull skin, and acne on the face or body. Also, an excellent way to exfoliate, leaving the skin feeling softer, smoother and firmer.
3.Acne peel treatment/Jessner’s peels: Also known as modified Jesserner’s peel or salicylic acid peels; these peels are anti inflammatory. They dry out active acne, dislodge black headband, helps lighten hyperpigmentation and improves the overall appearance of the skin.
4.Erbium Glass Laser Treatment
Active acne can be effectively treated with selective dermal heating performed with 1.54 microm erbium glass laser coupled with contact cooling. Erbium Glass Laser treatment for acne is free from any side effects and results in long-term acne clearing.
Tips to prevent acne:
1. Do not wash your face more than twice. Use only warm water and mild soaps.
2. Avoid scrubbing the skin or popping the pimples, as this may aggravate the condition and leave scars.
3. Wear loose clothes if you have acne on the back, shoulders or the chest in order to let the skin breathe.
4. Choose makeup consciously and avoid oil based products.
5. Avoid excessive sun exposure and wear your sunscreens religiously as advised.